Welcome to the Ubuntu Ireland LoCo Team.
This group is for anyone in Ireland who is interested in or uses Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Gobuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu JeOS or any other derivatives that may happen in the future. It is open to all types of people whether you are a novice or an expert. We encourage everyone to help out in any way they can by spreading the word and helping others.
Ubuntu Ireland does not have a 'council' like other LoCo groups do in various countries. We prefer to have an admin team that is responsible for the daily routines/duties such as translations, artwork or creating flyers, website or wiki administration or just simply spreading the word. This can be done by anybody and if you've contributed a lot of your time and shown that you are here to help the Irish community you can become part of the core team.
We hope that people will contribute to such projects as Camara - building up old PC's with Edubuntu and shipping them over to Africa.
- Install parties - helping procure CDs.
- Web Presence - Setting up of a dedicated Website with Forums and How-To info
- To raise awareness through advertising campaigns such as flyers, verbally and through the web.
- To support Irish additions to Ubuntu code
- Support and encourage translation into Gaeilge (Irish) : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-ie
- Get support from GNU/Linux sites such as Linux.ie
- Ubuntu-ie - Irish Ubuntu community
- IRC : #ubuntu-ie / irc.freenode.org
- Read the Introduction to Ubuntu Development. It’s a short article which will help you understand how Ubuntu is put together, how the infrastructure is used and how we interact with other projects.
- Follow the instructions in the Getting Set Up article. A few simple commands, a registration at Launchpad and you should have all the tools you need, and you’re ready to go.
- Check out our instructions for how to fix a bug in Ubuntu, they come with small examples that make it easier to visualise what exactly you need to do.
Pick a bitesize bug:
- Help out with the dh_python2 porting.
- Help out with fixing packages that don’t build anymore.
- Help out with security bugs.
You can also just join the team and watch them roll in and pick what you’d like.
In addition to that there are loads more opportunities over at Harvest.
There are many different ways to contact Ubuntu developers and get your questions answered.
- Be interactive and reach us most immediately: talk to us in #ubuntu-motu on irc.freenode.net.