Ignite is a event in over 100 cities worldwide. At the events Ignite presenters share their personal and professional passions, using 20 slides that auto-advance every 15 seconds for a total of just five minutes. Come down to Kelly’s bar on 27 of March at 20:00 for Ignite Galway #8.
Haha, meme joke. The blog and the hackerspace have had both enjoyed less life than Io, the first moon of Jupiter, in the past few months. Oh sure, we’ve had a clade of successful workshops, a packed Ignite event, major redecoration, a freaking awesome new logo, and some great new members, but if you walk into the hackerspace at an arbitrary point in time you’d have found hardly anything but a handful of happy hackers happily hacking away at their Facebook pages, or a video game.
But rule of thumb, it’s been quiet, and the blog has sadly reflected this. The Twitter account is shared between several people, and is trivial to update, as is our Facebook page. But you know what, winter is coming and with it a spike in activity at the hackerspace, and it behoves me to talk about the hackerspace and winter activities long-form. “So what,” you might ask, “is coming up this winter?”
Foremost, a change to our Tuesday open nights: Learning nights (and also a chance for some Photoshop fun). The idea is for a few people to get together on Tuesday’s, pick a topic, and learn about it. Or learn about learning-study methods, research sources and filtering, phrasing search terms. The atmosphere is intended to be informal. Come along, dust off your brain, and use it in good company for a few hours.
Learning Nights start next week, Tuesday October 1.
Also coming to the hackerspace are more workshops: A rehash of the above Bash workshop with a greater focus on Linux, Adobe Photoshop and digital image editing, and LaTeX, a programming language for document preparation. My personal goal is one workshop per month, and if anyone else wants to run a workshop is absolutely welcome to contact us.
Our next Ignite event will be on Wednesday October 30, and the annual 091 Labs Hallowe’en party on the next day Wednesday October 31
Looking further afield, the 091 Labs website will be getting a complete overhaul to match the new logo and its attendant colour scheme. I have no timeframe for this beyond a vague “next few months”.
Ever want to go an event to get inspired by passionate people who share their ideas over a pint? That’s exactly how Ignite talks works and, since their creation in 2006, they have spanned the world showcasing new thinking and inspiring stories with some of the most random entertainment along the way.
Ignite Galway returns on Thursday, October 13th, with doors opening at 8.30pm and speakers from 9pm, in the classy surroundings of Upstairs at Kelly’s Bar, Bridge Street, Galway and happens to coincide with International Suit Up Day, a light-hearted global event spawned from the hit TV show ‘How I Met Your Mother’ encouraging people to get together with friends, SUIT UP! and go have the craic.
Ignite speakers have to get their idea across in 5 minutes flat with only aided by twenty projected slides that will auto-advance every 15 seconds. There is no time for waffle.
The caliber of the speakers arranged for Ignite Galway is guaranteed to fire your imagination and the night will have some live music thrown in as well! Have a look below at the tremendous speakers lined up for Thursday:
- Mike Hennelly, juggler, scientist, and the man responsible for Galway Zombie Walk will talk on more ways to raise for charity than you could shake a bucket at.
- Allan Cavanagh, (@AllanCavanagh) Galway-based cartoonist with contributions to papers and magazines both at home and abroad, he has more than a passing interest in politics. In his talk ‘POLITICS (YAWN)’, he will be looking at conventional notions of politics, and why he disagrees with them.
- Michael Madden, (@michaelgmadden) NUIG lecturer, veteran of Ignite Dublin, and father of 3 is speaking on ‘Probably Approximately Confused’ – how it is so difficult for people to reliably estimate and reason with probability, even for those whose job it is!
- Finn Delaney, (@finndelaney) senior archaeologist for Eachtra will discuss the rise and fall of archaeology through the boom and bust and today’s technology. ‘Archaeology 2.0’ – It’s not your parents’ Time Team anymore!
- Oisin Greaney, (@UshG) occasional pirate, bookseller and 091 Labs member will talk on Transhumanism, how technological innovation is changing mankind and what the future brings.
- Máiréad Ní Chróinín, (@MaireadNC) artist in residence at Nun’s Island Theatre and the mind behind the energetic ‘Galway loves Theatre’ event will be talking about the various types of performances that use mobile phones.
- Frantisek Apfelbeck, (@algoldor) Alaskan fisherman, Genetic Engineer and alumni of Noisebridge hackerspace San Francisco wants to tell you more about ‘Life Foods’ and the effect of probiotics and prebiotics on the human body.
- Evert Bopp, (@thenext100k) start-up mentor, trainer, wifi guy, founder of Greenhouse Ireland and Haiti Connect, and avid Twitter user will be explaining ‘The value of data in disaster response’.
Ignite Galway is a fundraising event for 091 Labs. Any money raised will go towards the upkeep of the space to help us stay open during the cold winter months.
Ignite Galway is for anyone who wants to laugh, talk and be inspired. Whether you want to start your own business, discover local luminaries, have a wild and wonderful sense of curiosity, or simply fancy a decent night out; this is the event for you. Admission is €5, suits are optional and the enlightenment is free!
What is Ignite? According to their website, “It’s a high-energy evening of 5-minute talks by people who have an idea”.
Each speaker is given 5 minutes and 20 powerpoint slides to talk on a subject they are passionate about. All talks get recorded and put up online later for the rest of the world to watch.
A speaker can be anyone who has a good story to tell, be they artists, chefs, coders, comedians, designers, educators, entrepreneurs, musicians, photographers, students, technologists, thinkers and everything else!
If you (or someone you know) would be interested in giving a talk and spreading an idea or volunteering or sponsoring the event, please email email@example.com =)
091Labs are thrilled to announce their very own Ignite Galway, happening as a fundraiser for our much loved hackerspace on Friday, the 10th December, at 7pm. Like last time. there will be 13 inventive, courageous speakers, who have generously volunteered to take to the stage to give the audience a 5 minute insight into their wacky and wonderful ideas.
There will be lots of surprises throughout the night as we are determined to entertain, educate, enlighten and inspire you (and we’ll be sure to delight you while we’re at it).
Here are some of last Septembers talks as a reminder of the diversity and quality of the talks on the night.
Building a city, virtually, Gavin Duffy
User experience just doesn’t matter, Mark Conguista
Can great speeches change the world? Naoise Nunn
Tickets will be 5 euro on the door, and you can send an RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to book in advance.