Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Tournament
While first person shooters and war games grew more and more popular over the years, there is one genre that always stood proud in the world of competitive gaming. That is – the fighting game genre!
With regular tournaments being held all over Ireland (including Dublin and Cork), it’s time Galway got it’s chance to fight the good fight.
Rupture will be held in 091 Labs (above Kennedy’s pub) in Eyre Square on Saturday 15th October, where Galway’s finest fighters can battle it out on a number of Xbox 360’s to prove their worth in Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition. With a €10 entrance fee and a chance to win quite a bit more, Rupture will be an incredibly intense and fun competition, as players are travelling from all over to compete. And for the full effect, we’ll be showing the grand finals on a big screen!
Registry will take place between 12-1pm on Saturday 15th October, with the tournament starting soon afterwards. So be sure to turn up early to secure your place in the tournament, and to warm up with a few casual fights too.
Ever want to go an event to get inspired by passionate people who share their ideas over a pint? That’s exactly how Ignite talks works and, since their creation in 2006, they have spanned the world showcasing new thinking and inspiring stories with some of the most random entertainment along the way.
Ignite Galway returns on Thursday, October 13th, with doors opening at 8.30pm and speakers from 9pm, in the classy surroundings of Upstairs at Kelly’s Bar, Bridge Street, Galway and happens to coincide with International Suit Up Day, a light-hearted global event spawned from the hit TV show ‘How I Met Your Mother’ encouraging people to get together with friends, SUIT UP! and go have the craic.
Ignite speakers have to get their idea across in 5 minutes flat with only aided by twenty projected slides that will auto-advance every 15 seconds. There is no time for waffle.
The caliber of the speakers arranged for Ignite Galway is guaranteed to fire your imagination and the night will have some live music thrown in as well! Have a look below at the tremendous speakers lined up for Thursday:
- Mike Hennelly, juggler, scientist, and the man responsible for Galway Zombie Walk will talk on more ways to raise for charity than you could shake a bucket at.
- Allan Cavanagh, (@AllanCavanagh) Galway-based cartoonist with contributions to papers and magazines both at home and abroad, he has more than a passing interest in politics. In his talk ‘POLITICS (YAWN)’, he will be looking at conventional notions of politics, and why he disagrees with them.
- Michael Madden, (@michaelgmadden) NUIG lecturer, veteran of Ignite Dublin, and father of 3 is speaking on ‘Probably Approximately Confused’ – how it is so difficult for people to reliably estimate and reason with probability, even for those whose job it is!
- Finn Delaney, (@finndelaney) senior archaeologist for Eachtra will discuss the rise and fall of archaeology through the boom and bust and today’s technology. ‘Archaeology 2.0′ – It’s not your parents’ Time Team anymore!
- Oisin Greaney, (@UshG) occasional pirate, bookseller and 091 Labs member will talk on Transhumanism, how technological innovation is changing mankind and what the future brings.
- Máiréad Ní Chróinín, (@MaireadNC) artist in residence at Nun’s Island Theatre and the mind behind the energetic ‘Galway loves Theatre’ event will be talking about the various types of performances that use mobile phones.
- Frantisek Apfelbeck, (@algoldor) Alaskan fisherman, Genetic Engineer and alumni of Noisebridge hackerspace San Francisco wants to tell you more about ‘Life Foods’ and the effect of probiotics and prebiotics on the human body.
- Evert Bopp, (@thenext100k) start-up mentor, trainer, wifi guy, founder of Greenhouse Ireland and Haiti Connect, and avid Twitter user will be explaining ‘The value of data in disaster response’.
Ignite Galway is a fundraising event for 091 Labs. Any money raised will go towards the upkeep of the space to help us stay open during the cold winter months.
Ignite Galway is for anyone who wants to laugh, talk and be inspired. Whether you want to start your own business, discover local luminaries, have a wild and wonderful sense of curiosity, or simply fancy a decent night out; this is the event for you. Admission is €5, suits are optional and the enlightenment is free!
091 Labs is taking part in Galway Culture Night this Friday, September 23rd from 6pm until late (but officially 8pm).
Everyone is invited to come down and have a look at the space!
We’re going to be showing off some bits and pieces made by our members and they’ll be sporting some of their homebrew and food too. We’ll be showing you the basics of soldering with some of Part Fusion‘s I Can Solder badges and we’re going to be building or ‘testing’ our MAME arcade game cabinet on the night as well.
As a bit of fun, we’re also going to be making LED Throwies and, once it gets dark and we’ve made a good pile of them, we’ll be heading outside and covering Eyre Square’s Galway Hooker Monument in them!
The National Communications & Computer Museum will be opening for Culture Night tomorrow and, in particular, they’ll be dedicating the night to the many years of arcade gaming! They, too, will be open from 6pm to 8pm and we recommend you try to get to it.
There will be buses traveling between all the different venues so have a look on the Culture Night site to get more details about transport and everything else happening event-wise.
091 Labs will be running Ignite Galway for the first time this year on Thursday October 13th @ 9pm in Kelly’s Bar and we’re looking for speakers!
What is Ignite? According to their website, “It’s a high-energy evening of 5-minute talks by people who have an idea”.
Each speaker is given 5 minutes and 20 powerpoint slides to talk on a subject they are passionate about. All talks get recorded and put up online later for the rest of the world to watch.
A speaker can be anyone who has a good story to tell, be they artists, chefs, coders, comedians, designers, educators, entrepreneurs, musicians, photographers, students, technologists, thinkers and everything else!
If you (or someone you know) would be interested in giving a talk and spreading an idea or volunteering or sponsoring the event, please email email@example.com =)
For more info on Ignite, check out http://ignite.oreilly.com/ and http://igniteshow.com/ for videos from other Ignites.
091 Labs will finally be signing the lease on the new Space this coming Wednesday. Our new address will be 091 Labs, 1st Floor, Tyrone House, Eyre Square, Galway!
We’ve got the keys, are eager to get moved in and need your help!
We’re looking for some willing volunteers who have big vehicles to aid us in transporting all our gear to the new Space over the course of this coming week and we’ll need a few people to help lift the gear up the stairs once it gets dropped at the door too.
So if you’re free to help on Wednesday evening (August 3rd) from around 6pm, drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @091labs with the tag #moving or Facebook or however! We’d love to hear from ye!
And if you aren’t free on Wednesday but are around earlier or later in the week, still drop us a shout as we’ll make sure to arrange something =)