Due to unforeseen circumstances, Richard Conroy has been forced to cancel his talk tonight. In its place, Adrian Avendano will instead be holding a short workshop on the employment of Java in web development.
091 Labs sincerely apologizes for this change of schedule.
This Sunday @ 7pm we will be showing a few short films by local artists, followed by a screening of the first episode of Pioneer One.
We haven’t finalised a list, but it looks as though we’ll have 5 or 6 short films averaging 2 to 3 minutes in length. If you have a late submission get in touch using the contact form.
Pioneer One is a crowd-sourced low-budget production by Josh Bernhard and Bracey Smith. The funds for the project were raised through Kickstarter.
Galway-based hacker and creative workspace, 091 Labs, will be hosting a photowalk and digital processing workshop at our Workspace on Saturday September 11, 2010. Our (well…my) general plan for the day is as follows:
- 10am: We all meet up at the 091 Labs workspace at Exchange House on Fairgreen Road and swap introductions.
- 10:30am-11am: Move out and begin our walk around the city and Claddagh beachfront.
- 2pm: Return to the workspace for lunch (we have plenty of eateries around the area).
- 3pm-6pm: Digital processing and photographic technique workshops. I need you for these.
Some of the details of the day are still up in the air; I would like anyone interested in holding a 15-30 minute workshop to contact me directly within the next week to suggest yours. Anything photography-related is welcome: Share your business tips, workflow advice, shooting techniques or even a regale us with a suitably entertaining rant. The Labs’ workspace features a secure lockup, copious bandwidth, an abundance or comfortable chairs and plenty of sockets; with that in mind I encourage those interested to bring along their laptop or Netbook to work from.
You can grab an ICS calendar event to add to your Outlook, iCal or Google Calendar from here.
I’ve been polling interest among Irish photographers for an 091 Labs-sponsored Galway photowalk after discovering that there is a very strong interest within the Labs for us to hold one. Out of consideration for other big photographic events going on throughout August, I am looking at maybe the middle of September as the day for this.
To quote directly from my Boards.ie post:
Since I’ve joined 091 Labs in Galway City, I’ve discovered that there is a strong internal interest in hosting a Galway City photowalk. I’d also like to submit that I could also offer a space, equipment and bandwidth for a on-that-day Photoshop symposium and all-around digital processing get-together. The workspace is at the Fairgreen and immediately adjacent to both of Galway’s bus and train terminals – we’re next door to one and across the road from the other. Cute bullet-point list of what I’m proposing:
- The People’s Photography is on in two weeks, and it wouldn’t be fair to schedule another event for the week before or after. I’m tentatively offering up Saturday September 11 as the date for this photowalk.
- The photowalk route would just be your typical wander around Galway’s city center.
- 091 Labs is around the corner from the fabulous Radisson Blu hotel on Lough Atalia road. If there is sufficient I’ll inquire about discounted rates.
- In addition to the photowalk we have a great, well-equipped computer workspace with projectors and lots of bandwith. I think a digital processing sharing session on the same day/weekend would be a great thing.
- Share your workflow, tips, tricks and techniques.
- Pub afterwards.
Its proving to be a busy time of the year on the domestic hackerspace scene. Cork moved into their new home in July, Limerick are actively recruiting new members and TOG in Dublin have completed a 2 month refurbishment of their new home on Chancery Lane (before, during and after videos here). August sees the first annual Irish Hackerspace Week take place August 14th-22nd. Events and workshops are being organised by each location to promote hackerspaces throughout the country. We are busy finalising details of our workshops, events and talks which will be announced next Monday.
On the local Galway front things are continuing apace. NUIG plays host to this years International BlogTalk 2010 Conference on August 25th-26th. The organisers have pulled together another great lineup of speakers with the full schedule here. Tickets for the event are still available for those interested in attending. 091 Labs is delighted to host Galways first IGNITE event in Galway on September 10th. There are still slots available for speakers and sponsors. BizCamp Galway takes place on September 11th in NUIG so it promises to be a very special weekend. In closing we would like to thank the Ubuntu Ireland team for sending on desktop and server disks for our space which arrived in time for our build your own pc workshops!