Ignite Galway #5 – Wednesday, April 24th at 8pm
By Padraic on .
Sticking to our goal to try to have one every two months for the rest of the year, we’re going to be running the next Ignite Galway session on Wednesday, April 24th, (next week) at 8pm, Upstairs at Kelly’s Bar.
To explain Ignite, I’m just going to steal completely from Oisin’s post for the last one!
Ignite is a global lightning presentation format where speakers have five minutes and twenty timed slides to enlighten and inspire the audience about their chosen topic. Entry is €5 and the enlightenment is free!
We had 7 speakers at our last event in February (I was one of them!) and the rest did a great job =P The videos can be watched here. Over the last two events, we’ve had topics covering archaeology, science, maths, art, political satire, empowering creativity, gender equality, life foods, community involvement, movement building, and saving lives – zombies have also came up twice!
We’re still looking for more speakers for the event if anyone is interested. Here is what we need:
- 5 minutes of you talking about something that interests you which you want to share with everyone.
- 20 slides that we can run in the background (they’ll autoforward every 15 seconds).
- The slides saved in .ppt, .odp, and .pdf because something always goes wonky.
That’s it! It’s really easy to get involved. Here is our advice for making a talk.
- Figure out the story you want to tell, it can be whatever you want!
- Write down the 5 main points you want to mention – that’s one minute each.
- Get 4 pictures for each of those points that’ll help it flow in the background.
- Turn the photos into slides and add some text if need be.
- Tweak the above to your preference afterwards.
You don’t need to worry too much about perfection or making an everlasting masterpiece, we actually prefer our talks to be a bit rough and ready as the event itself. The aim is to have fun, have a laugh, have a pint, enjoy the night, and maybe learn something too =) If interested or would like some advice for it, drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Either way, I hope to see you all there next week!