*POSTPONED* The Linux Workshop of Stupendous Splendour
By Mark on .
Unfortunately, this workshop has had to be postponed as Mark isn’t feeling well and isn’t up to the trip down to Galway for the class. We’ll announce here when we know more about when it’s being rescheduled, sorry.
Why yes, a Linux workshop!
Friday January 20, from about 7pm onward. You want to learn Linux? Great! What you need is:
- A laptop computer with enough hard disk space to install Linux.
- A sense of self-worth and a desire to learn.
- The fortitude to repartition your machine in order to install Linux.
We will be working with Ubuntu Linux 11.101.
Order of operations:
- Get everyone settled and liability releases signed2.
- Introduce myself and introduce Linux. I have a swish presentation.
- Hand out installation media to anyone who hasn’t been frightened away3.
- Branch out into Q&A and get everyone working on a goal. I don’t have an overall plan in mind, save that I do better in this kind of format.
Scary footnotes aside, it should be a great evening for anyone who wants to come in and try Linux out and enjoy our friendly user-friendly hackerspace.
Admission is €10 per person, with proceeds going to the hackerspace.
1The hackerspace has Ubuntu 11.10 installation media, I have Ubuntu 11.10 installation media and it is honestly the only distro I have used for any great length of time in the past decade.
2I want you to understand that complete data loss on your hard disk is a tangible risk if you mess up with partitioning. You will be supervised and the risk of data loss will be explicitly spelled out on the night.
3Depending on both the size of the crowd and my own infamously mercurial temperament, I may not be able to micromanage partitioning and installation. I will certainly supervise, but the burden of responsibility is on you, O Participant!