SUIT UP! for Ignite Galway – Thursday, October 13th – 8.30pm until late
Ever want to go an event to get inspired by passionate people who share their ideas over a pint? That’s exactly how Ignite talks works and, since their creation in 2006, they have spanned the world showcasing new thinking and inspiring stories with some of the most random entertainment along the way.
Ignite Galway returns on Thursday, October 13th, with doors opening at 8.30pm and speakers from 9pm, in the classy surroundings of Upstairs at Kelly’s Bar, Bridge Street, Galway and happens to coincide with International Suit Up Day, a light-hearted global event spawned from the hit TV show ‘How I Met Your Mother’ encouraging people to get together with friends, SUIT UP! and go have the craic.
Ignite speakers have to get their idea across in 5 minutes flat with only aided by twenty projected slides that will auto-advance every 15 seconds. There is no time for waffle.
The caliber of the speakers arranged for Ignite Galway is guaranteed to fire your imagination and the night will have some live music thrown in as well! Have a look below at the tremendous speakers lined up for Thursday:
- Mike Hennelly, juggler, scientist, and the man responsible for Galway Zombie Walk will talk on more ways to raise for charity than you could shake a bucket at.
- Allan Cavanagh, (@AllanCavanagh) Galway-based cartoonist with contributions to papers and magazines both at home and abroad, he has more than a passing interest in politics. In his talk ‘POLITICS (YAWN)’, he will be looking at conventional notions of politics, and why he disagrees with them.
- Michael Madden, (@michaelgmadden) NUIG lecturer, veteran of Ignite Dublin, and father of 3 is speaking on ‘Probably Approximately Confused’ – how it is so difficult for people to reliably estimate and reason with probability, even for those whose job it is!
- Finn Delaney, (@finndelaney) senior archaeologist for Eachtra will discuss the rise and fall of archaeology through the boom and bust and today’s technology. ‘Archaeology 2.0′ – It’s not your parents’ Time Team anymore!
- Oisin Greaney, (@UshG) occasional pirate, bookseller and 091 Labs member will talk on Transhumanism, how technological innovation is changing mankind and what the future brings.
- Máiréad Ní Chróinín, (@MaireadNC) artist in residence at Nun’s Island Theatre and the mind behind the energetic ‘Galway loves Theatre’ event will be talking about the various types of performances that use mobile phones.
- Frantisek Apfelbeck, (@algoldor) Alaskan fisherman, Genetic Engineer and alumni of Noisebridge hackerspace San Francisco wants to tell you more about ‘Life Foods’ and the effect of probiotics and prebiotics on the human body.
- Evert Bopp, (@thenext100k) start-up mentor, trainer, wifi guy, founder of Greenhouse Ireland and Haiti Connect, and avid Twitter user will be explaining ‘The value of data in disaster response’.
Ignite Galway is a fundraising event for 091 Labs. Any money raised will go towards the upkeep of the space to help us stay open during the cold winter months.
Ignite Galway is for anyone who wants to laugh, talk and be inspired. Whether you want to start your own business, discover local luminaries, have a wild and wonderful sense of curiosity, or simply fancy a decent night out; this is the event for you. Admission is €5, suits are optional and the enlightenment is free!